Wallpaper adhesive is a crucial component in the process of wallpapering a room. It’s the glue that holds the wallpaper in place, ensuring it stays put for years to come. There are different types of wallpaper adhesive available in the market, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
When choosing a wallpaper adhesive, the most critical factor to consider is the type of wallpaper you’re using. Some wallpaper adhesive is designed specifically for paper wallpaper, while others work better with vinyl or other materials. It’s essential to choose the right adhesive for your wallpaper type to ensure it adheres correctly and lasts as long as possible.
Another critical factor to consider when selecting wallpaper adhesive is the strength of the bond it creates. A good wallpaper adhesive should create a strong bond that holds the wallpaper in place for years without peeling or coming loose. It should also be easy to apply and not create a mess during the application process.
We spent hours researching and testing multiple wallpaper adhesives to identify the ones that provide the best bond and ease of application. In the following sections, we’ll discuss the top wallpaper adhesives on the market and what makes them stand out.
Best Wallpaper Adhesives
We have researched and tested various wallpaper adhesives to bring you the best options available on Amazon. Whether you are looking for a heavy-duty adhesive for textured or patterned wallpaper or a lightweight adhesive for temporary wallpaper, we have got you covered. Our roundup includes adhesives that are easy to apply, provide strong adhesion, and are suitable for different types of wallpaper. Check out our top picks below.
If you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use wallpaper adhesive kit, the KLEEG Wallpaper Adhesive Kit is a great option to consider.
- The bundle comes with everything you need to hang wallpaper, including adhesive, a paste brush, and a smoothing tool.
- The Zinsser SureGrip Heavy Duty 122 adhesive is suitable for all types of standard wallcoverings, from light to heavyweight non-pasted and pre-pasted to heavyweight vinyl wallcoverings.
- The flexible wallpaper smoothing tool helps to create a professional, smooth finish without causing damage to the wallpaper.
- The kit is only suitable for paper-based wallcoverings, so it may not be the best choice for those looking to hang wallpaper made from other materials.
- The adhesive may not work as well on heavily textured walls.
- The paste brush may not be as durable as some users would like.
We recently used the KLEEG Wallpaper Adhesive Kit to hang some wallpaper in our living room, and we were impressed with the results. The Zinsser SureGrip Heavy Duty 122 adhesive worked well on our paper-based wallpaper, and we appreciated that it was easy to spread and flowed easily while drying clear. The adhesive also removed painlessly for vinyl wallcovering or bare drywall without any damage.
The paste brush that comes with the kit was well-made and helped us to spread the adhesive smoothly and uniformly. We also appreciated that it was easy to clean and reuse. The flexible wallpaper smoothing tool was a must-have when hanging our wallpaper, and we found that it left no bubble untouched, creating a professional smooth finish. The rounded edges also prevented any tearing or damage to the wallpaper.
Overall, we would recommend the KLEEG Wallpaper Adhesive Kit to anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use wallpaper adhesive kit. It comes with everything you need to hang wallpaper, and the Zinsser SureGrip Heavy Duty 122 adhesive works well on standard paper-based wallcoverings. The paste brush and flexible wallpaper smoothing tool are also great additions to the kit.
If you’re looking for a reliable adhesive to repair your wallpaper, we recommend trying ROMAN Seam Repair Adhesive.
- Bonds overlapping edges of wallcoverings
- Repairs wallpaper tears and loose seam edges
- Works on all weights and types of wallcovering
- Tacks up in minutes, so you have to work quickly
- The 3-ounce tube may not be enough for larger projects
- May require multiple coats for thicker wallpaper
We recently used ROMAN Seam Repair Adhesive to repair a tear in our wallpaper, and it worked like a charm. The adhesive is specially formulated to bond overlapping edges of wallcoverings and repair tears and loose seam edges. It works on all weights and types of wallcovering and tacks up in minutes with a white color finish.
One thing to note is that you have to work quickly since it tacks up in minutes. Additionally, the 3-ounce tube may not be enough for larger projects, so you may need to purchase multiple tubes. If you have thicker wallpaper, you may need to apply multiple coats for the adhesive to take hold.
Overall, we highly recommend ROMAN Seam Repair Adhesive for anyone looking to repair their wallpaper. It’s a reliable product from a trusted brand that’s been providing quality products for over 75 years.
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty wallpaper adhesive that can handle even the heaviest of wallcoverings, Roman 011301 PRO-838 1 gal Heavy Duty Wallpaper Adhesive is the product for you.
- Commercial grade paste designed for contractors
- High wet tack and can handle the heaviest of wallcoverings
- Recommended for pasting machine US
- Has a strong smell
- Can be a bit hard to paint on due to its thick consistency
- Not recommended for lightweight wallcoverings
We recently used Roman 011301 PRO-838 1 gal Heavy Duty Wallpaper Adhesive to install some medium to heavy weight wallcoverings in a commercial space. The adhesive flowed easily through the pasting machine, making the installation process quick and efficient. The high wet tack ensured that the wallcoverings adhered well to the walls and stayed in place.
One thing to note is that the adhesive has a strong smell, which may be a concern for those who are sensitive to odors. Additionally, due to its thick consistency, it can be a bit hard to paint on. We also wouldn’t recommend using this adhesive for lightweight wallcoverings, as it is specifically designed for medium to heavy weight wallcoverings.
Overall, if you’re a contractor looking for a cost-effective, commercial grade adhesive that can handle heavy-duty wallcoverings, we highly recommend Roman 011301 PRO-838 1 gal Heavy Duty Wallpaper Adhesive.
If you’re looking for a strong and versatile adhesive, Gorilla Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive is a great option.
- The adhesive is heavy-duty and dries permanent, ensuring a strong bond.
- It’s repositionable for up to 10 minutes, making it easy to adjust and reposition your project before it sets.
- The wide pad nozzle and controlled fine mist provide an even application, ensuring that your project is evenly coated.
- This adhesive is not recommended for use on vinyl materials, automotive headliners, polypropylene, polyethylene, or similar materials.
- The adhesive has a pungent smell that may be unpleasant for some users.
- The adhesive is not suitable for bonding weighted materials.
We recently used Gorilla Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive to attach fabric to a wooden surface for a DIY project. The adhesive held up well and provided a strong bond. The controlled fine mist made it easy to apply the adhesive evenly, and the repositionable feature allowed us to make adjustments before it set.
However, we did notice that the adhesive had a strong smell that lingered for a while after application. Additionally, we wouldn’t recommend using this adhesive for bonding weighted materials, as it may not provide a strong enough hold.
Overall, we would recommend Gorilla Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive for its strength and versatility. Just be sure to use it in a well-ventilated area and avoid using it on certain materials.
If you’re looking for a reliable wallpaper adhesive, we recommend ROMAN PRO-543 Universal Wallpaper and Border Adhesive. We found this product to be easy to apply and it worked well with most types of wallpaper.
- The adhesive is universal and can be used with most types of wallpaper including non-woven, vinyl, paste the wall, paste the paper, and more.
- The extended open time enables easier pattern matching, making it easier to get a precise and professional-looking result.
- It covers approximately 250 square feet per gallon, which is enough to hang 4 double rolls of wallpaper.
- The adhesive can be a bit difficult to clean up if it dries on surfaces that aren’t meant to have wallpaper on them.
- It’s important to avoid freezing the adhesive, so you’ll need to store it in a cool, dry place.
- This adhesive is not recommended for use on poor quality latex paint.
We found that the ROMAN PRO-543 Universal Wallpaper and Border Adhesive worked well with most types of wallpaper. It was easy to apply with a paint roller or brush, and it provided excellent holding power. We also appreciated that it was mold and mildew resistant and that it could cover a large area.
One thing to keep in mind is that this adhesive can be a bit difficult to clean up if it dries on surfaces that aren’t meant to have wallpaper on them. However, we found that it was easy to wash away with clean water if it was cleaned up promptly.
Overall, we believe that the ROMAN PRO-543 Universal Wallpaper and Border Adhesive is a great choice for anyone who needs a reliable and effective wallpaper adhesive. With its excellent coverage, extended open time, and versatility, it’s a product that we would definitely recommend.
When it comes to buying wallpaper adhesive, there are a few factors to consider to ensure you get the best product for your needs. Here are some things to keep in mind:
Type of Adhesive
There are various types of wallpaper adhesive available, and each one is designed for specific applications. Some of the most common types include:
- Cellulose: This type of adhesive is made from plant-based materials and is ideal for use with paper wallpapers.
- Vinyl: Vinyl adhesive is designed for use with vinyl wallpapers and is more durable than other types of adhesive.
- Clay: Clay adhesive is made from natural materials and is ideal for use with heavy or textured wallpapers.
It’s important to consider the coverage area of the adhesive before making a purchase. This will help you determine how much adhesive you need to buy and can also help you save money. Be sure to measure the area you plan to cover with wallpaper and choose an adhesive that provides enough coverage.
The drying time of the adhesive is another important factor to consider. Some adhesives dry quickly, while others take longer to dry. If you’re in a hurry to get your wallpaper up, choose an adhesive that dries quickly. However, if you have more time and want to ensure a strong bond, opt for an adhesive that takes longer to dry.
Ease of Use
Finally, consider the ease of use of the adhesive. Some adhesives require mixing or special tools, while others can be applied directly from the container. Choose an adhesive that is easy to use and fits your skill level.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best wallpaper adhesive for your needs, ensuring a smooth and successful wallpapering project.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do we properly apply wallpaper adhesive?
Before applying wallpaper adhesive, make sure to clean the wall surface thoroughly. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the adhesive. Spread the adhesive evenly on the wall with a roller or brush, making sure to cover the entire surface. Apply the wallpaper promptly after applying the adhesive to prevent it from drying out.
What is the best type of wallpaper adhesive for a textured wall?
For a textured wall, it is recommended to use a heavy-duty wallpaper adhesive that has strong bonding properties. Be sure to choose an adhesive that is specifically designed for textured surfaces.
Can we use wallpaper paste instead of wallpaper adhesive?
No, wallpaper paste is not recommended for use as a wallpaper adhesive. Wallpaper paste is designed to be used with pre-pasted wallpaper and may not provide the necessary bonding properties for non-pasted wallpaper.
What is the recommended drying time for wallpaper adhesive?
The recommended drying time for wallpaper adhesive may vary depending on the type of adhesive used and the wall surface. Generally, it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours before hanging the wallpaper to ensure that the adhesive has fully dried.
Can we use wallpaper adhesive for peel and stick wallpaper?
No, wallpaper adhesive is not recommended for use with peel and stick wallpaper. Peel and stick wallpaper already has adhesive backing and does not require additional adhesive.
Is it necessary to prime the wall before applying wallpaper adhesive?
Priming the wall before applying wallpaper adhesive is not always necessary, but it can help improve the adhesion of the wallpaper. If the wall has a glossy or uneven surface, priming can help create a smoother and more even surface for the wallpaper to adhere to. It is recommended to consult with the manufacturer of the adhesive for specific priming recommendations.